Monday, January 16, 2012

Book Idea for Man'oushe

Food…glorious food! We’re always discussing it, enjoying it, and making a big part of our lives (except for those few who completely ignore it). “I don’t know about you, but personally I don’t trust them!”

But the fact remains that food is a major part of our lives. Thing is: I’ve noticed that we tend to neglect its history, its origin, and the fundamental story behind each bite we take. Of course, one shouldn’t dwell on a long history before grabbing that delicious comfort food that we cherish so much, but I have to say that we have to educate ourselves on the food tradition of our country, Lebanon – (which by the way is very rich!).

I am always asked, “How did you come up with the idea for your book Man’oushé?” and what is funny is that some tell me, “Why didn’t I think of it myself?” Sometimes we take a food so much for granted that we neglect to see its importance in our society and how this food is very much part of who we are. Of course, the man’oushé is very much a part of who we are as Lebanese. I dare someone to tell me the contrary.

Returning to our question, “how did I come up with the idea of Man’oushé?” No it was not the mere fact that it was a glorious revelation behind a genius…actually it was a romantic dream that developed into a logic and simple idea. My dream was to visit Italy and make a thorough research of the pizza. This dream I had was mainly because I love to make pizza and wanted to know everything and anything about it…We as humans tend to see that grass is always greener on the other side…Italy was my green pasture!

I woke one morning early and a very logical idea came to mind, “Hey, why are you always seeking the impossible (IMPOSSIBLE because of my role as a mother, wife, and housewife – can’t just pack up and go to Italy – could I?) Think about what you have in Lebanon! In Lebanon, we have very important bread, spread with a mixture of thyme that is grown in the wild throughout our mountains. The people of our country are very interesting and make a wonderful subject and all this is out there for me to discover. So that is how one traditional food became a book. A book I cherish because I feel it’s my gift to Lebanon. Everyone needs to leave a trace in their homeland; I guess that’s my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment